Birth and death records for people born in Montgomery County, Ohio are available through the Bureau of Vital Statistics of Public Health – Dayton & Montgomery County. These records date back to 1909. Birth and death records from 1867 through 1908 are available through the Montgomery County Archives. You may contact them at (937) 225-6366. See the guidelines for information on how to order vital records.
Certified birth certificates (abstracts) for persons born in the state of Ohio (dating back to 1908) can also be issued.
NOTE: If you are looking for vital records from a foreign country, please call (937) 496-3117. To order copies of birth/death certificates from 1867 through 1908 please contact Montgomery County Archives at (937) 225- 6366.
Cost of certificates
- Certified birth certificate – $22.00 each
- Certified death certificate – $22.00 each
Vital Statistics will accept the following methods of payment:
- Business or Certified Checks
- Money Orders
- Debit Cards *
- Credit Cards *
- Do not send cash through the mail.
- Make certified check or money order payable to Public Health – Dayton & Montgomery County. (No personal checks accepted.)
- Credit cards may be used online, phone or mail for an additional $7.00 fee.
- For your convenience, you can process online requests through an independent company that Public Health – Dayton & Montgomery County has partnered with to provide you this service; VitalChek Network, Inc. An additional fee is charged by VitalChek for this service, and all major credit cards are accepted, including American Express, Discover, MasterCard or Visa.
- Debit cards may be used in the office for an additional $2.50 fee. (Transactions processed through Vitalchek Network)
- Certificates may also be expedited by mail utilizing UPS at an additional cost.
*Other conditions may apply
To obtain a copy of a birth/death certificate in Montgomery County, you may telephone, write, or visit our office in person. To ensure that you receive an accurate record for your request and that your request is filled with all due speed, please follow these steps:
- Type or print all names and addresses in your letter.
- Provide complete information on an individual and event for which you need documents.
- Include all names that may have been used, including nicknames, alternate spellings, etc.
- List dates and type of event as completely and accurately as possible.
- Always provide an self addressed stamped envelope.
- Include the following information with each request:
- date of request
- full name of person (last name in caps)
- sex of that person
- date of birth/death
- place of birth/death (city or town, county, state, and name of the hospital/location, if known)
- mother’s maiden name
- father’s name
- relationship to party
- the purpose for which the record is needed
- requestor’s name & address
- requestor’s signature