Public Health's School Health Services are provided to private, parochial and charter schools in Montgomery County. Schools may contract for a school nurse on a part-time or full-time basis or one-time only to perform mandatory screenings.
Schools rely upon School Health Services to provide a registered nurse who specializes in the field of school nursing. In addition to a nursing license issued by the Ohio Board of Nursing, a nurse providing services to schools must be licensed by the Ohio Department of Education.
Enhance student learning through disease prevention, health promotion and increased access to health care services.
A licensed school nurse in every school.
Building relationships with individuals, families, and community resources through mutual respect and appreciation of cultural diversity to maximize the health and well-being of children and enable achievement of student success.
- Review of immunization records to ensure compliance with Ohio State Law
- Provide state mandated vision and hearing screenings
- Assess students on an individual basis and provide on-going support as needed
- Offer resources for low-cost medical, vision or dental services
- Prevent disease through assessment and control of contagious illnesses
- Develop Individualized Health Plans (IHP) for medically fragile students
- Instruct, coordinate and evaluate care provided by assistive personnel
- Plan and implement health education programs in the classroom
- Consult with school administrators promoting a healthy and safe environment
- Participate in crisis intervention planning and implementation
- Participate in emergency preparedness activities