There are important steps that need to be followed once a boil water advisory ends. After the advisory has been lifted, it does not mean that the water is able to be used or drank right away. Please see the checklists below for actions that need to be taken after a boil water advisory has ended.
- Unscrew and remove the faucet aerator (screen)
- Turn on each cold water faucet/tap slowly
- Run cold water for three minutes
- Clean and reinstall aerator
Flush pipes/faucets: follow the directions of your water utility or, as general guidance, run cold water faucets for at least 3 minutes.
Equipment with waterline connections such as post-mix beverage machines, spray misters, coffee or tea urns, ice machines, glass washers, dishwashers, and other equipment with water connections must be flushed, cleaned, and sanitized in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions.
Flush drinking water fountains: run continuously for 3 minutes.
Ice Machine Sanitation:
Flush the water line to the machine inlet:
- Close the valve on the water line behind the machine and disconnect the water line from the
- machine inlet.
- Open the valve, run 5 gallons of water through the valve and dispose of the water.
- Close the valve.
- Reconnect the water line to the machine inlet.
- Open the valve.
Flush the water lines in the machine:
- Turn on the machine.
- Make ice for 1 hour and dispose of the ice.
- Clean and sanitize all parts and surfaces that come in contact with water and ice, following the manufacturer's instructions.